Thursday, June 11, 2009

Creating an online class

One thing that I have found over the years of using a Learning System such as WebCT, Courseweb, Moodle, or Blackboard is how confined it is. Although they are rich in different tools that were created to facilitate the development of an online class, I also find it limited. I find this system excellent for teachers who have limited knowledge about computers and digital design.

At some previous schools where I've taught, I was given the opportunity to design my own website. I found that, although it was more difficult, I was able to get it to look and feel how I wanted. The disadvantage of this system is the fact that you have to literally create everything from scratch. With WebCT, you can create a announcements and assignments by just following a simple interface which asks you all the necessary questions to do it successfully. There's no need to manually connect to the server, upload the necessary files, make the correct html links, mess around with the source code, or worry about placing items in the right folders on the server. WebCT will literally do it for you. But the drawback is that it will do what it wants; and if you have something that you want that it doesn't offer? Tough love. There are a few "customizations" that you make to your post, but those are limited. In addition, if I'm using a browser or system that is incompatible with WebCT (which I'm currently using), it won't even allow me to use some of its features (even as a student). Creating my own website will ensure that the website is optimized for all browsers. These are just some frustrations that I have with Learning Systems.

I can definitely see the benefits of a Learning System for an instructor such as the ease of creating something quickly; it enables anyone to set up a class with minimal learning time. In addition, if a student is taking a class from an institute like UCSD, it is nice if all the online classes have a uniform look; students wouldn't have to learn how to navigate around each instructors' web page.

No comments: