Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Week 1 - Thoughts about online teaching

It is interesting that we are in an age where things are becoming more and more digitized. However, it is even more interesting to see that human beings, in my case a teacher, becoming more and more digitized. There are days when I come to school quite tired and I wish there was a robotic form of me who can teach my classes. I have always seen technology as a tool to use in teaching.

In fact, within my classroom, I use many forms of technology to assist my teaching. First, I use an E-Beam which uses a wireless pen and a projector to mimic a whiteboard (or chalkboard). It has all the functions of a basic paint program on a computer. However, I can also record my lesson as I write and speak. Second, I use an online course management for the class. Here, students can access everything from course syllabus, homework assignments, announcements, an online course calender, previous quizzes, and even the recorded lesson that I upload at the end of my lessons. Third, the students and I use many mathematical computer programs to further enhance the teaching and learning experience. Lastly, the students also possess a graphing calculator, which acts almost like a mini-computer. It is hard to imagine a class without all these forms of technology.

However, the question I pose for myself is, "Will I eventually replace myself with a computer?" At the moment of asking this question, I have a definite "NO!" as an answer. I feel that teaching and learning is a sacred thing. During the Renaissance Era, an apprentice had his master. Nowadays, even a PhD candidate has his advisor. The teacher-learner relationship is innate in all humans. We all seek out a person to become our teacher in many things we do. Having a person as a teacher tells us that we can become that smart or that intelligent because this person sitting in front of us is here in the flesh. If he can do it, so can I! There's something special about a human mentor that gives both people gratification. There's warmth in the relationship.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound so bad if I could just throw myself online, let students learn from the digital me, and I can...go on vacation! I've always wanted that robotic version of me, or before the digital era, my twin. I wouldn't have to deal with classroom management, students sleeping in class, students misbehaving, cleaning gum off the table, etc. I could correct papers from a different country, on the beach, sipping a nice cocktail. Wouldn't that be nice? And the best part is, there could be 100 students taking the class simultaneously and I could get paid for not being there in front of them. Hmm...that just sounds so tempting.

As I ponder that original question, I find myself being reminded of the gratification I get from teaching students live--the hugs, the happy tears from doing well, the thank you letters, and the wonderful words from students who tells you how much of an impact you made on their life. These are things that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and you wake up each morning to hope that you can make a difference in some young mind's life. I cannot describe what it feels like to be a teacher that matters; there are no words that can.

Sure, it's interesting to use all these technology, but if there's not a warm helping hand to motivate students to do well and to excel, then the heart of learning has morphed into a electric pump full of wires and screens. My plan is to create a hybrid online class where students will meet with me, but their learning will be enhanced by the uses of technologies.

No comments: